HOME   ABOUT   STRATEGY   CURRENT TRENDS   WATCH LIST  AUCTIONS   CONTACT

The Best of Amelia Island 2015

 








Sold for $2,337,500 on March 14, 2015


 Body Style 3912. 160 bhp, 3,257 cc dual
 overhead-camshaft inline eight-cylinder
 engine with a Roots-type supercharger,
 four-speed manual gearbox, solid front
 axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs,
 solid rear axle with quarter-elliptic leaf
 springs, and four-wheel Lockheed dual
 master hydraulic drum brakes.
 Wheelbase: 130 in.

One of three extant Aravis Cabriolets
 by Gangloff
Desirable supercharged specification
The 2012 Amelia Island Best of Show winner
Documented by Bugatti historian
Pierre-Yves Laugier








1938 Bugatti Type 57C Aravis Cabriolet by Gangloff
Chassis 57710 is one of only three extant examples of the Aravis Cabriolet by Gangloff that were built in 1938 and 1939. Like other Bugatti bodies, the Aravis was named after a beautiful mountain range, and it was designated as a 2/3-seater cabriolet when it was first offered in the 1938 catalogue. Only Gangloff and Letourneur et Marchand were allowed to dub their 2/3-seater cabriolets the Aravis, and it is believed that each coachbuilder produced six of these bodies, of which three by Gangloff survive, as do three by Letourneur et Marchand.

This car is based on a Gangloff drawing, number 3912, which is dated October 7, 1938, and a copy of this drawing is in the carís file as part of a report prepared by Bugatti historian Pierre-Yves Laugier. According to Gangloff records, the order for this Aravis Cabriolet, style number 3912, was placed by the Piot Garage, under number 235, and it was delivered there in November 1938, with chassis 57710 and a naturally aspirated engine, number 510. According to the Bugatti factory list of agents, the Piot Garage was located in Dijon, France.

On November 5, 1938, chassis number 57710 was officially registered in the name of its first private owner, Mr. Fernand Rey of Dijon, who was the proprietor of a pharmaceutical company, and it was licensed under the number 700 DU 4. A copy of the registration record, which is also on file, contains a note indicating that the car was sent to the south of France at the beginning of the war, and it likely remained there for the rest of the conflict.