Legendary Sports Cars
1952 Aston Martin DB2 Vantage Drophead Coupé
Sold for $680,000 on September 6, 2014
107 bhp, 2,580 cc DOHC inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with coil springs, trailing links, and an anti-roll bar, independent rear suspension with a live axle, coil springs, radius rods, and a Panhard rod, and Girling four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,500 mm.
One of only 98 DB2 Drophead Coupés built
Freshly restored in wonderful colours.
|< PREVIOUS MORE PHOTOS NEXT >|
The DB2 was introduced in 1950 and is the
seminal Aston Martin model from the illustrious David Brown era, as well
as the most aspirational. This model introduced the sporty “gentleman’s
express” élan for which DB Aston Martins would become famous, and it
featured abundant power thanks to its W.O. Bentley-designed, 2.6-litre,
twin-cam, six-cylinder engine, which Aston had acquired with Brown’s
purchase of Lagonda. It is renowned for superb handling and impeccable
quality, and it continues to be highly prized for its purity of design,
landmark “first model” standing, and sheer rarity, as just 410 were
produced. Of those, only 98 factory-built drophead coupés were produced,
all of which were recorded as “coupés” on their build sheets. (During the
Brown era, Aston Martin regularly referred to its two-door closed cars as
“saloons” and its convertibles as “coupés”.)
A copy of the build sheet for chassis LML/50/237, which was provided by Aston Martin Dorset, records it as having been delivered by Birmingham dealer Charles Sidney to T. Casson, the namesake of T. Casson & Bro. Ltd., of Commercial Hill, Elland, on 16 December 1952. The car was originally equipped with a Purolator oil filter and M/C choke and ignition, as well as a Smiths speedometer in mph.
Build records indicate that the car was eventually damaged in an accident and returned to the factory, where it was rebuilt back to its original condition and the present engine was installed. According to information provided by the consignor, in 1974 the car made its way into the ownership of a well-known connoisseur of Aston Martins in Plymouth, England, who drove it only on special occasions. After remaining in his ownership for 33 years, it was sold in “barn find” condition to the present caretaker, for whom a restoration was undertaken.
The car was professionally refinished in the iconic Aston Racing Green, which is so familiar to fans of the marque and model and so attractive on the DB2’s elegantly simple shape. The interior is outfitted in tight, fresh biscuit tan leather, which is overseen by a proper canvas top. The wire wheels are painted grey and shod in blackwall tyres, and a correct spare is found in the boot. The driver faces the exciting visage of a Brooklands steering wheel and a rich walnut dashboard capping, which is surrounded by more fine leather. Overall, the impression is fresh and properly done, without too much “bling”. This is a DB2 that appears as it would have when it left the factory. The restoration is incredibly fresh, and at the time of cataloguing, the car had recorded hardly a mile of travel since completion of the work.